Sunday, July 5, 2009

Labels for Health Supplements

It was one week since I last blog. I have many issues to write but this one really stunned me.

Some of you may have received this circular from NPCB, dated 16-Jun-09, requiring that certain information be located at a stipulated location on the label. See attached draft.

I do no doubt the benefits to consumers, but I feel this restrict the creativity by the product owners...

Label shape can varies, graphics definitely differ, and all these will impose high restrictions in designing of the product labels.

Such restrictions may be good for the medicinal drugs, but for health supplements...???
I am surprised that the industries have no objection to this ruling. I forsee tremendous havoc with registration of imported products. Well, let's see how it goes.....

AJ.



2 comments:

  1. May I suggest, NPCB should conduct a market survey before we make any suggestion on the label. As we know, the new requirement is trigger from ASEAN effort on harmonisation, but are we really sure the rest of ASEAN member countries are also make the same move? If, they dont what next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who am I to suggest to NPCB anything....? It should come from a body, society or association representing the relevant interest groups!
    I share your concern. I am as puzzled as you on this. However, the circular claim this has been discussed with the 'industry'..... Anyone out there can vouch for this?

    ReplyDelete